RCU Forums - View Single Post - GWs A10 EDf55's
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2004, 09:23 AM
dbl8ts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GWs A10 EDf55's

ORIGINAL: markysharky

Hello, sorry to be a complete dunce (im new to this, and yes i have run searches) but i have a couple of question i hope you guys can help me with.

When it comes to new technology, no one is a dunce. I have been there, done that, and I am only a few steps past that.

1. Is it a case of the larger the EDF motor number the larger it is, and if so do you need larger engine cover things (how technical) for large motors (i.e. 113mm)?

Yes. The original configuration was an EDF-50 with a very small motor. However, the 50 represented the size of the shroud or motor housing. Thus, the EDF-55s are larger than the 50s. However, the 55s hold 150, 300, 350 and 370 class motors. Also, the nacelles (engine cover things) for the 55s are larger than the ones for the 50s.

2. What is the difference between a brushless motor and a normal one other than double price?

I cannot give you the technical specifics, but I know that the brushless generate more tork and negate the need for gearing your applications. Brushes wear out eventually and must be replaced where possible or you must buy a new motor. That is all I know about the difference, other than price, and it is as simple as I can make it.

3. I have a spare battery that i dont need for airsoft so will the GWS A-10 take it? It's a 8.4V 3000mah Nimh with a large conector.

Someone else can better answer this part of your question. I am just learning about batteries, and from what I have read, I prefer the Li-Poly approach. I do know from previous threads that the EDF-50s are power sensitive. Most modelers burn them up quickly. With those, you must follow the manufacturer's recommendation and not exceed X voltage. With the EDF-55 150s, I believe your current battery will work, provided it is not one used in model trucks/cars. A few modelers in this forum have run EDF-55 300s, 350, and 370s with 3S2P 2100-2400 mah Li-Poly batteries. So far, none have reported burning up and engine. Rather than run the full 11.1v through these motors, they use a voltmeter attached between the battery and ESC to run the engine up to the max. voltage allowed, 9.6v, and set their ATV so they do not risk burning up the motors. Again, this is what I have learned from previous threads by more knowledable electric modelers. In another forum, the CEO of GWS has endorsed using the 3S2P Li-Po set-up as long as you do not run full throttle for extended periods.

Thanks!

You are most welcome!