RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA certified instructors
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2004, 03:04 PM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA certified instructors

Hi Ted

As unbelievable as it may seem, my post was not a rip at Horrace. In the last few days there has been a thread going about the 3 visit rules that many clubs have, and I thought perhaps Horrace had been caught up in that when he made his decision.

To support the other side: My club is not an Intro Pilot club. We have no one that is interested in making the reports to HQ that are required by the program. We DO have some paid instructors, as well as voluntary ones. AMA is required of all who fly at our field. Many instructors have gotten tired of teaching and watching the student walk away, either joining another club or leaving modeling when the newbie’s plane becomes a lawn dart. For most instructors, there is a desire to see the new member blossom. To see the day he no longer terrorizes the pits. To see the day when he becomes capable of giving back to the hobby. The largest club in my area refuses to teach newbies, with the exception of one instructor that will, if you buy a plane from him. When people give, they want something in return. Simple. There are a lot of older modelers that are sick of the “instant gratification” desires of a newer generation.

At the same time, we do offer a club membership to youngsters for $1 and it is not unheard of for a member to put up a buck for the AMA and a buck for the club to assure that youngsters are not turned away.