RCU Forums - View Single Post - How do I cover with Silk?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2004, 12:59 PM
spud8939
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do I cover with Silk?

Bob,
When you get into the process with silk, I suggest you use the techniques outlined in a post on page 1 of this thread posted by jcw111 on 12/11/2001. This is the exact same method that I have used for over 30 years with excellent results. A few comments about dope. Aero gloss is not compatible with anything else. I would not use it unless I had no other option, and then it MUST be used only with Aero Gloss. I don't know if it can be used over nitrate, but I'm sure someone on here knows. Nitrate is good to stick the covering on with, it bonds well. Butyrate (fuel proof), is good with a few cautions. It continues to shrink almost forever if you don't put a few drops of plasticizer in it. Sig dope is good but expensive. If you get on the web and search out Aircraft Spruce and
Specialty Company, they sell Randolph aircraft dope. Very good product, thick like syrup, so get plenty of thinner. When you get a part covered, brush a thinned coat of dope over the wood areas and the blush from the wet silk will disappear like magic. When you go to fill the open areas, use a fairly dry brush with moderately thin dope. The secret is ONE PASS with the brush, more pushes the dope through the silk. Count on going over it several times to get it completely filled. After that, you can do as you wish within reason with little to no problems.
Hope this helps, ask any questions you like,
Good Luck,
spud8939