RCU Forums - View Single Post - Newb looking to buy first MT - lots of q's???
Old 05-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newb looking to buy first MT - lots of q's???

ORIGINAL: DMD

Alright, so can you tell me what performance aspects they compromised on, in comparison to the Savage perhaps? I understand that the wheelbase on the Mammoth is longer, giving it a bigger turning radius, but people still say it's pretty nimble as an MT, and for it's size. I obviously don't know either way, these are just things I've read. I'm just looking for as much feedback to arm myself with before I walk into the lhs and have them try to sell me something that I don't want.

I wasn't adressing wheelbase/handling, though you're right, the smaller lighter trucks are usually better (but then there's COG, steering radus....). I'm just saying that everyone says the Mammoth is so fast @ 52 mph while ignoring the FACT that all it is is GEARING!!

Mammoth: 11.75 lbs 2.6 hp

Savage .25: 11.22lbs, 2.3 hp

So you got 1/2 lb. vs. .3 hp differences. Sounds like a draw, if not, it's close enough.

Anyway, it's clear that if the XTM is FASTER, than it HAS to be slower off the line. That's what I mean by the laws of physics. Forgetting wind drag & tire contact/area/tread stuff (in MTs all that's about the same), when weight/power ratios are the same & everything else is equal too, your vehicle is either quick & slower or less-quick & faster, in simple, EQUAL proportions determined by your gearing.

You can EASILY gear your Savage to give you the same accelleration & top speed as the Mammoth, and vice versa.

So look for OTHER things when choosing your truck!!

Mammoth: big, open chassis! better steering servo, kinda heavy, not a ton of hopup options

Savage: Strong chassis, power start, more option choices, some engine/fuel quirks (do a search w/ "leaning savage")

Personally, I'd wait for the new Losi & Traxxas trucks (Revo), but you asked about these two.

I'm just getting tired of people talking like the Mammoth is magical: 52mph AND quick AND nimble.

It can be a fine racer, if you gear it for accelleration & live with the fact you don't have a 50 mph+ truck anymore. But outta the box, the Savage IS quicker and the Mammoth IS faster.