RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aileron Trim
Thread: Aileron Trim
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2004, 08:34 PM
mtomas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron Trim

Hi,

Is it normal to need 11 or 12 clicks of left aileron for straight and level? This doesn't seem right to me.

With the ailerons in the neutral position (trim at 0 and ailerons flush with wing), the right wing drops relatively sharply while in the air. 11 or 12 clicks of left aileron are needed to attain level flight. Once trimmed for level flight, left turns done with the ailerons look rather strange. It almost looks like a rudder turn does. The plane does not want to come around. As the turn progresses, more left aileron is needed (i.e. i am having to use constant and increasing pressure on the left aileron). Sometimes, I will get to full left aileron and the plane looks like it just won't make it through. Airspeed also seems to drop significantly while trying to make left turns. I am not attempting to do particularly sharp turns, just normal gentle turns.

So far I have checked the following things:
[ul][*] balance is dead on in the recommended range[*] plane balances perfectly lengthwise (i.e. nose to tail)[*] fuselage is straight and not warped[*] wings and ailerons are straight and not warped, dihedral lift on each side is equal[*] elevator assembly is straight and not warped[*] stabilizer assembly is straight and not warped[*] elevator assembly and stabilizer assembly are square at 90 degrees[*] when viewing the plane from the front and rear, everything lines up good
[/ul]

Does anyone have any ideas on what I am missing? While I am able to keep good control of the plane, it just doesn't feel right when making left turns.

Also, right turns are completely normal and the plane is a Nexstar.

Thanks!