RCU Forums - View Single Post - Yellow Aircraft Giles 300 60 weight?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2004, 11:05 AM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yellow Aircraft Giles 300 60 weight?

I too was concerned with the weight issue of my YA Giles 300 so I weighed it i came out to approx 7.5 lbs I f I used Carbon fiber gear maybe I could save a little .25 lbs or so but I figured I would fly it and get to know it first before messing with anything. My second landing last year on its maiden day was not good to say the least. About 18" above the runway a head wind came in and stopped it almost in mid air as I approached for a landing. left wing stall and head over tail it went and stopped in 3 pieces. Needless to say I was slightly aggrivated. Back together again the very next weekend as if nothing had happened to it. I flew it and couldnt get over the nerves knowing that this plane was not to stable at low speeds, or so I thought. Then this year started up and I said the hell with it and flew it as if I didnt care what happened. Well I tested its stall speed a couple mistakes high and to my suprise it was as stable as a trainner. I couldnt believe it I actually did some what of a harrier until it slowed down so much that it fell out of the sky but even then it didnt tip in like I had thought it would. Maybe something in the rebuild was fixed that was out of wack from the initial assembly. I dont know, but I do know now that even though its not a favorite for 3D I plan on practicing with it trying to hover and flat spin. Seems like this could be a good plane after all.