RCU Forums - View Single Post - Converting a 12 foot sailplane to electric.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:41 PM
Cockrobin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Converting a 12 foot sailplane to electric.

Hi Matt, Thanks very much for your responce which you sent so quickly!

I'll start with the model data, taken from the kit box (alas,no plans). Wildflecken 144"..12ft. Radio Sailplanes. Suitable for tow line,
Bungee or power assist, slope and thermal soaring. More about its strenghth of build later.
Wing Span 144" 3660mm. O/A lenght; 49.5" 1260mm. Wing Area 7.3 sq. ft. 67.0 sq dcm. Total surface area: 8.25 sq. ft.
78.0 sq.dms. Wing loading: 8.5-9 ozs sq.ft. Total surface area loading: 7.5 ozs sq.ft. 23g/sq.dms
All up weight ,ready to fly ..RC installed: 60-64oz. There is about 3 cu ins of lead in the nose, which I think has been added as an extra for c of g balancing, which I intend to discard when detaching the nose for fitment of the mount.

In terms of weight, which would you prefer to deal with..metric or imperial??

The tech spec of the Axi 4120/14, which I checked before buying, shows it can handle (as you say) 12 to 16 cells. Model weight:
2000 to 3500 gms. I figured that the current all up weight of 1.82kgs would be increased by under 50% when including 12 cells,
the motor, mount and speed controller. This would fall under the next jump to 14 cells at 2.75kgs. 3.5kgs taking 16 cells.

Propeller: The manual with the motor suggests 12 cells 13"x11". 14 cells 13"x8" and 16 cells 12"x 8".. I'm planning the 13"x11"
folding prop by Aeronaut the German company. Am I correct in believing that this prop would give higher torque at lower revs??

I am thinking Sanyo 12 cell, 6 cells dual in line Lithium in respect of cost and the way I feel re experience of their product. Ease of supply and fitment behind a newly fitted double bulhead ( remembering the radio and servos may well have to be ahead of batts)
as a form of bombay area around the C of G.

Anyhow Matt, I hope this enough to chew for the mo..getting v.late here.

More to throw in the pot about the Mount..Speed Controller/strenght of build of the existing model.. and finally, cooling.

Thanks for your interest so far fella. Regards, Derek Horder.