RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flying on the wing… A dying skill?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2004, 10:16 AM
SDR-Hammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying on the wing… A dying skill?

Anybody that has ever owned an airplane that had just enough power to fly will understand what I mean by flying on the wing. On the take off roll you hope the plane will achieve take off speed before reaching the end of the runway. Getting the wheels free from the ground requires a little bit of finesse of the elevator, lot of body English and saying PLEASE. Once the plane is airborne it still requires a lot of discretionary use of the elevator to achieve the maximum rate of climb, without stalling, to clear any obstacles and make turns into the pattern. Aerobatic maneuvers are another discussion all together.

Last year I acquired such a plane and use it to teach my kids flying R/C. Invariably, just about every time that plane goes in the air somebody will comment, “didn’t think you were going to make it (off the runway or over the trees)”. I think they are nervous. When I got into flying R/C it was very common to see somebody flying planes like this. In fact this reminds me of the plane I was taught to fly on. Now days even trainers have a short take off roll and can climb quickly. I hardly see anybody fly planes that lack plenty of prop and throttle anymore. Flying on the wing requires a certain finesse that the availability of extra power doesn’t, plus power provides comfort.