RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can the poor opinion of AMA be changed and how??
Old 05-18-2004, 02:00 AM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can the poor opinion of AMA be changed and how??

ORIGINAL: archerry

I am going to jump in now and add my two cents worth. I don't disagree or agree with any particular thing that anyone has to say however, I hear the diffences of the AMA of the past and what is happening now and possibly in the future. I worries me that their are too many people that are very negative or very complacent about an organization that was developed to support our hobby/sport/past-time ...whatever you want to call it.

We have guys our club that are strong supporters of AMA but can only mention what they have done in the past (e.g. additional frequences) to support their case. Then they say that they give us great insurance coverage and a great magazine. That's good too... That's if you consider "secondary" insurance great coverage and believe me I don't think they are loosing money from the magazine with all the advertizing revenue they are able to generate with it.

Then on the other hand, I hear a lot more negativity (just within this forum alone). I have heard where an individual was seriously injured at an air race resulting from a mid air collision, the motor came off and hit this individual in the knee, taking out his knee. A CD at the event told him not to worry about anything that it would be taken care off. Apparently, later the pilot was sued as AMA totally turned their backs..... (True or Not? - Anyone know more about this?) I'm now hearing about the turbine... Li-Poly... and many other things, to name a few. I begin to wonder myself, if all the efforts my club puts into and gives back to the comunity is worth the effort for the AMA "head nodding" of approval (and they have turned their back on us as well). It's seems like a lot of people are saying, "The Good Old Boys and their high dollar toys", is what AMA is all about. You don't see Mr. Hyde (and the boys) flying electrics so what do you think he cares about Li-Poly's and their usage....?

Frankly from all the negative I have seen lately and nothing positive to counter it, at this point, I am ashamed of AMA and displeased with being forced to have to be a part of it......[sm=thumbdown.gif]

They've got the MONOPOLY... Maybe the need to be humbled again, like the rest of us......

(Edited for grammer and spelling)
Hi Ron

I am choosing to respond to your post for several reasons, not the least of which is that we know each other and you know I have no personal animosity toward you. Another reason is that your post shows a lack of understanding of the way the AMA functions and some basic facts that are verifiable. You also requested input from AMA advocates. I suppose, to some degree, I fit that description.

First, you seem to be unaware of the fact that the AMA is us. US the AMA members. You also seem unaware that the HQ staff is a bureaucracy, just as any other large organization. Your initial complaint, contained in another thread, is that pins were not given to your club members for a static display at an air show. As your e-mail exchange explained to you, the pins are for a mall show. A program that has existed for over 20 years. Trying to get a clerk at HQ to change rules is like trying to get a DMV clerk to change the registration laws for your car. Frustrating and not at all productive. There are ways to change the program, but, they will take your time and your effort. Are you willing to expend YOUR time and YOUR effort to attempt to get changes made?

You also make a point that Rich Hanson has not sought your club out. If you were to understand the scope of the job of an EC member, you might understand why that is extremely unlikely to happen. If you want to talk to Rich, may I suggest a couple of ways to achieve that. He was at the AMA Convention, a very few miles from you. You could have made the drive in well under 30 minutes. He was on the show floor for much of the time. Alternately, pick up the phone and call him. Hoping that he would respond to a CC in an e-mail, is, in my opinion, overly optimistic. Expecting a running string of e-mails is just as overly optimistic.

You make some rather strange statements that are akin to “what has the AMA done for us lately?” Well, you might want to point out to your club members that the AMA is currently watching the BPL situation with the FCC. It has been in several meetings with the FAA, OHS, and other federal groups that could have a major impact on our hobby. That is just for openers, I might suggest to you that you read the AMA news section on the AMA site, and explore the archives there for other information. There is also information on the Sport Flyers on the site. A topic you also seem to have an interest in.

Let’s take a look at that “great magazine” for just a minute. The IRS requires the AMA to have a newsletter. Model Aviation serves as that newsletter. While you may feel certain that it is not losing money, the facts show that you are wrong. As a matter of fact, MA loses about 1 million a year at a cost to each adult member of just under $7. Perhaps, as a club officer, you can imagine your club publishing a newsletter for $.60 a month. I know my club can’t. Whether you or anyone else likes the articles or content, it complies with the 501 (c) 3 status requirements for a newsletter and is done on an economical basis.

Now, on to the insurance coverage that you seem to feel is of so little value. How much does your club pay for it’s AMA provided coverage? Could the club fly at the air base you use without the primary (yes, that is primary, not secondary) coverage provided by the AMA policy for the landlord? Have you taken into consideration that fully half of the claims paid by the AMA involve “trip and fall” type accidents? These are the accidents that generate claims against clubs and landlords, as well as individuals. Claims that are NOT covered by homeowner’s insurance when made against the club or landlord.

You make claim of hearing a rumor that the AMA is not paying a claim you “heard” about. You did notice no one else had heard that rumor. I have a challenge I issued some time back, that I will issue to you as well. Name one verified case where the AMA did not pay a claim when the AMA insurance was the coverage that should be paying. Just one. Since Carl Maroney can not recall one (but does admit the possibility that one happened further back then he can remember), I strongly doubt that you will find support for either your rumor or to meet my challenge.

You make claim to “hearing about turbines, Li-poly, and many other things”. Just what is it you heard? The fact that the turbine guys got what their SIG wanted, across the board? The fact that Li-Poly batteries do have potential hazards and the AMA issued a warning? And what else? Really interesting… or maybe not.

The “good ‘ol boys and their high dollar toys” . I like that… kinda catchy. What, exactly does it mean?

Someone else already pointed out the error in your Chip Hyde statement.

The truth is that there are ways to change the AMA. As Horrace said, in another post, the elections would do it. One assumption made is that the majority are unhappy with the way things are… something I have not seen supported. Apathy may be a sign of satisfaction… or a sign of the feeling of futility. My observations at my club and other clubs I visit are that most AMA members do not give the running of the AMA a second thought. Would you care to support your opinion with facts? In spite of the election process not changing the EC often, there are other ways to achieve change… either SIGs or the by-laws come to mind… but either take work and effort. Ask Joe Huntley, Steve Ellzey, or Gordo-outlaw, here on RCU. If you don’t know who they are, some reading in this forum might be in order. Horrace was also able to get a change made, but, it has to be attributed to the skills he picked up as a VP.

As a club officer, I am surprised you would complain here, instead of taking your case to your club. If you can excite them to action, and you have more than rumors to base your case on, you may be able to get them to drop the AMA club charter. That seems to be what you desire if I read your post correctly. Of course, then it will be necessary to replace that $100 worth of club and landlord insurance that allows you to fly at your club’s field. That may be problematical.

Frankly, from all unsupported rumors and incorrect information that you report, it is not surprising to me that you feel negative about the AMA, assuming you believe what you post. Perhaps the solution is as simple as being around a different group in your real life that deals with facts and not with rumor and innuendo. Just a suggestion, Ron, I know you have only been an AMA member now for something over two years and can’t know it all, but, the truth and facts are out there, if you just take the time and give the effort necessary to find them.

JR