RCU Forums - View Single Post - 3D Frenzy at Joe Nall
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2004, 12:16 PM
heli001
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3D Frenzy at Joe Nall

DP,

Had you attended the event, you would have seen the frequency control setup during the "controlled" flights. The frequencies were controlled starting after the AM pilots meeting, until the late afternoon F/S show part of the event. Before the pilots meeting and after 5 PM, the flying was on the honor system and the frequencies were NOT controlled. While we did not have a 3K spectrum analyzer, we did have a pretty sophisticated frequency monitoring system using a scanner and a laptop that showed "Hot" channels. During the controlled part of the program, this system saved more than several aircraft. Please understand that we make every effort to make the flying as safe as possible during the program part of the show, free flying is allowed before and after the main part of the show, and it is the pilots responsibility to acquire the pin for his particular channel. The only shoot down that I know of during the controlled part of the event was when a pilot asked for the wrong pin number. The events that are mentioned above were during the times when the frequency board was not manned and the honor system was in place. In reference to the Waco, it was not determined to be a hit, that I know of, as the channel was clear as soon as the radio was turned off. Please remember that there were 500 pilots, all of which, wanted fly.

If there was a perfect system for frequency control, it would have been invented 25 years ago. We are working very hard to provide the safestest flying enviornment and frequency control system that you can have, and more improvements will be made for next year. If you have any further questions about the system we are working on, please feel free to ask. If you want to know how I know, I was one of the two frequency coordinators. Believe me when I say, we ALL feel the hurt when a plane goes in for whatever reason, and to the people that lost aircraft, I am truly sorry for your loss. Before you go blasting an event or a system that was in use, please understand the FACTS, before you post. [X(]