RCU Forums - View Single Post - What planes do you recommend as a first sailplane?
Old 05-25-2004, 01:55 PM
Rick K
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What planes do you recommend as a first sailplane?

Yes, all that's true and more, Carl Goldberg was one of the legends of model aircraft designers and builders. Free-flight , RC, Scale and Glider/sailplane, he did it all, from what I read in a memorial article in RCM, starting in the late 30's he was already well known in the hobby for his nat. contest winning free flight designs. He was one of the first to 'kit' them and traveled widely by car and trailer to promote them and the hobby in general.
My first plane (also 20 some yrs ago) was also a GL I still remember the extremely fragile ribs which were soooo easy to split. I think I must have had to repair them at least two times eachwhile building, also remember the very sloppy fit of the ribs to the spar. As I recall I ended up pushing them all to the rear and filling the gaps with scrap. Didn't seem to make a difference in how it flew (Great). Built 2 Spohisticated Lady's later, also a good flyer but a very weak tail section, the tail itself and the fuse "wrist" just forward of tail. Have built many planes since (all the usual suspects) but still remember that GL the most for just plain fun.
I have a daughter that's going to turn 9 this month, sort of a 'tom boy' type, I think I just thought of a great B-day present . . .Thanks for the idea!
Rick