RCU Forums - View Single Post - SPAD Airboat
Thread: SPAD Airboat
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2004, 02:52 AM
canadianjosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SPAD Airboat

My original plan was not for a stepped hull, I had planned to use one single piece for the bottom, however cutting all of the flutes just seems like too much work for my quickie experiment, so i ended up with a stepped hull. When i talked about the air bubb;es underneath, you'll see the flutes are open at the step, if i put hole in the flutes at the very front of the bow then air would run through them and exit at the step further reducing surface drag.....i think. For those of you who don't know what the flutes are, they are the "tubes" inside the two outer surfaces. I used good old CA on this. They recommend flame treating the surface to burn off manufacturing oils for better adhesion. There is a simple water test to see if the coroplast has been pre-flamed, you just splash some on a vertical piece and if it beads up and stay it needs to be flamed if it runs off then it is good to go. Will be awhile before this hull gets its feet wet, I am trying to build an entire coroplast boat and the engine nacelle is going to be tricky.