RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aerocar 1/4 scale- Where to start?
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2004, 10:50 AM
davidinmi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aerocar 1/4 scale- Where to start?

I have 3 views. I just ordered a video: AEROCAR: Giving the Automobile Its Wings, Produced in cooperation with designer/inventor Moulton B. "Molt" Taylor, this video features rare test flight footage, interviews, scale models, drawings, significant photographs and press clippings of all four models of the AEROCAR--the "roadable" airplane. Basic dimensions are available on the internet.

My preliinary thoughts are that I will build a composite car and a balsa sheeted foam core wing. I'm still looking at several different construction methods for the conical tail.

The original has a 30 foot wingspan. At 1/4 scale I'll have a 90" wingspan with an 18-3/4" chord. Overall length of the model as a plane will be 63". The width of the car portion will be 11 inches. I'm thinking a 1.08 to 1.20 two stroke will provide the power. I still have to do some research on a propeller drive shaft.

I would like to be able to drive it to the flight line as a car and trailer, assemble it similar to the full scale and fly it.

Dave