RCU Forums - View Single Post - GP Super Stearman
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2004, 07:24 PM
tlrascal
My Feedback: (56)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GP Super Stearman

I have finished building and flying the GP Stearman and will share some of my thoughts and experiences. I purchased a built Stearman of unknow origin a few years ago and really enjoyed flying this thing for several flights. It met an untimely demise when I flew the battery out of it. The old Stearman flew on it's own in a big circle for about 5 minutes losing altitude with every circuit until it crashed full speed into the ground. I haad intended to repair this plane until the one from GP came along. I operate a hobby shop in Van Buren Arkansas.

When I received this ARF I was extremely pleased with what I saw. I havew been modelling for 50 years and I can't build one that nice. The finish on the landing gear and cabanes was superb, flawless gloss white better than I have seen on any model. I don't know if it was powder coated or what but it is perfect.

The parts fit was excellent, I mean excellent for all parts. The construction of the plane took about 12 hours. Wing alignment was eezzzzeeeeeee. The wheel pants and engine cowl eeezzzeeeeeee. Everything fit and everything worked as it should. I installed an new but older version of a YS 120, before the air chamber. I have read the comments about the spinner not fitting the props and the hinges etc. and that because your trying to use too big of an engine and prop. Use what the paid engineers designed this plane for.

I opted for the four aileron version and soldered the two elevator wires together instead of the clamp but this was the only deviation from the plans. This thing is gorgeous when done and now for the flying. The YS has a tick over idle and I mean slow to the tune of less than 1000 RPM and instant throttle response. I used no additional weight and didn't even put in the weight box. I might haave been a tad rearward on the CG but not much if any. It required just a little down trim to keep from climbing and it flies comfortably on about 1/4 throttle. loops, rolls, stall turns great. I have only flown it once and then a short flight. This thing is a total winner in my books.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55064.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	139254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92126.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	139255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90716.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	85.7 KB