RCU Forums - View Single Post - Whats a First Good Kit?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2002, 02:25 PM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Savong money by building?

Possible, but consider how many kits you plan to build before you think it will save you money. OK, it can be done cheaply, but there is a "right way" to build, and that means proper tools for the task at hand. Tooling up can cost more than a couple of ARF kits for the tools I consider essential. Covering iron, trim tool, heat gun, X-acto knife with 100 blade pack, hinge slotting tools, CAs, Epoxies, Wood Glues, building board, rasor saw, sanding blocks, sandpaper, drill bits, drill, taps and handles, pins, screw drivers, plyers, is my bare minimum. There are countless other specialty tools that enhance the finished product

So, before you get into building just to save money, plan your budget. Just as an example, to finish a Sensation the same way as Kyosho would cost you over $80.00 in covering. Of course, two color schemes are acceptable too, but it's hard to save money building over a quality ARF.

Now, I am a builder, I love building, I build for me, for friends, and I also build professionally for my favorite company. Building will give you more pride in what you fly, and the potential for perfection is always there. With an ARF, you are stuck with the quality of what you buy. Kits or scratch building allow room for improvement and perfection in almost every case. I encourage you to build, but I don't think you will save money in the short or the long run.

Mark