RCU Forums - View Single Post - Anybody fly Ultralights?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2004, 09:42 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Anybody fly Ultralights?

Yea, cheap, but you gotta remember, pilot training trains you to fly it, and consider many things including weather, emergency procedures and such. The little training you get in one of these, and you have to gain all the experience and knowledge based on your own flying and learn everything the hard way. I know more people that have killed themselves in ultralights than anything else because they lacked the knowledge of what to do in a certain situation. I would still suggest at least the ground school for the private pilot licence so you have some understanding of weather and other flight factors.

Yea, they may seem easy and cheap, but you don't want to die because you didn't know the storm was coming or something like that. I have seen the wind go from calm to over 60 knots on the surface in less than 5 miles with mostly blue sky above. You have to learn to read the weather and the guys on the news just don't do. They are wrong more than right and you don't want to be up in an ultralight in the wrong weather.