RCU Forums - View Single Post - Anybody fly Ultralights?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2004, 06:33 AM
jettstarblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anybody fly Ultralights?

254 lbs. empty max weight. 5 gals. of onboard fuel max. 55 knots max. 28(?) mph stall speed max. No license required. One person vehicles, period, the two place are for training purposes, and NOT "ultralights".

Sport pilot will change everything (except part 103) if they ever quit fighting about it, and get it through. This will allow minimal lisencing for two place "low performance" aircraft to be operated with no real medical.

Major proponent of Part 103 ultralights here.
Let me ad my 2 cents.

First, yes, you should get training with them, you'd have to be a suicidal maniac to just "get in and fly" don't ask me how I know. -Yes I was one of those who was gonna teach myself to fly one of these. I finally got some official training. Many people have taught themselves to fly (ask Orville and Wilbur) but why would you?
Self preservation is a good thing, and most folks with any brains won't just go out and fly. Many try, only to find their 10,000 dollar toy destroyed.

I know more casualties from teaching oneself to ride a motorcycle, including deaths.
These (part 103) are considered "recreational vehicles", not "aircraft", and if you crash one the FAA doesn't investigate, the State patrol does.
More people are killed on Lake Erie in one month in watercraft, than are killed in ultralights worldwide in a 3 year period. That's a fact.

They are not all weather vehicles, (or less so than N-numbered aircraft.) Think BIG PARKFLYER.
Definately not a hobby to be entered into lightly, you'll only waste a ton of time and money.

Contrary to popular belief, you can put together a safe, good flying ultralight for under 5000 bucks, and I am currently putting two together that the total cost will be (well) under 5000.
Scrounge, resourse, and do a lot (all) the work yourself. Kind of like models, the more you build from raw materials, the cheaper it will be. the airframe on the wood one I am building is going to cost me less than 500 bucks, minus the covering, paint, engine/redrive. This dollar value DOES include the material to build it up to the "in the bones" stage, 200 for wood/plywood, 100 for glue, varnish, staples. (I know how/where to get aircraft grade wood for pennies on the dollar.)
Fisher, and the old T.E.A.M. planes are just like giant models, and just as easy to build, except for the workshop area.
Any questions?
I can point you in the right direction if you are interested.