RCU Forums - View Single Post - ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2004, 07:16 PM
Sunwolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF

Hi all!

I'm a newly infected RC flyer and my first plane is the 37" J-3.
I finally got tired of worrying about crashing the silly thing and took it out last weekend.
Mmmm yeah - H O O K E D....
I had 9 hand launches and 8 landings. The one that's missing is a surperb landing - I swear! The wife can verfiy it
I found myself much much more comfortable with an underhand launch - is this the norm or am I a strange one?

Anyway - my first weekend was fine - however - one night a couple days ago... I had my first 'hard landing' [&:]

Nothing major broken - however, I DID flatten a couple of teeth on the drive shaft gear. So now - if I were to run it - it'd almost sound like a little engine thumping along...
I took a mini file and made the best adjustments possible but it's not been enough - I'm still seeing a MARKED decrease in battery life because of the extra work the engine has to do to push past the bad spot.

SO... my question I know- I'm a rambler - but hell - this is a fun sport and I'm excited about it

How the HECK can I remove the drive shaft from the engine mount housing? I've tried all the things I could think of - but I'm not wanting to put too much pressure behind the wrench in case I'm doing it wrong. I'd prefer just to buy the shaft and not the whole engine housing

Any suggestions?

Also: Does anyone have any mod suggestions for the little J-3? it's clear (at least to me) that I have enough basic skill in order to put some money into the sport, but I was curious to see if anyone has been able to put a bigger engine in this thing, and maybe a bigger battery?
Thanks!