RCU Forums - View Single Post - Patriot
Thread: Patriot
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2004, 11:35 PM
jamesg33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Patriot

I'm a slow builder - I try to have one new plane done each year. I started this one in March of 2003 and finished it in March of 2004!! Couldn't even guess at the real number of hours as I worked on it off and on - probably between 75 and a 100 though (although according to my wife, it took about a 1000).

The covering is Ultracote - I really like the stuff. I've had people running their hands across the wing of this plane trying to figure out if it's a sheeted foam wing or not. In sunlight it's hard to tell. I usually spend 10 minutes before I start covering to lightly sand every exposed edge (like along the rib cap strips for instance) which really makes a big difference.

It'll roll very fast if you want it to. I overdid the control throws on my first flights and was literally all over the sky with it - it's a miracle I got it down in on piece. I reduced my control throws and dialed in a lot of exponential which made the plane a real joy to fly.

You'll have fun with your plane - it's a blast. The one thing I've learned so far though is keep your airspeed way up on landing and takeoff. Things get really nasty if you stall it - my landing gear took a beating on the last flight because of that.

I just put an APC 9-8 prop on it. Bought a 9-7 too. I'll try them this weekend and let you guys know how it goes

Jim

Razor (AKA James G): I wish I were 33. I use it as it's my lucky number.