RCU Forums - View Single Post - On cloud #9
Thread: On cloud #9
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2004, 01:39 PM
afineman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On cloud #9

Greetings all my name is Brent

I just found the forum while doing s search on RC planes, my brother and I have been tinkering in this sport since we were teenagers ( we are both in or mid 40’s now), we both still love the rush of getting a plane in the air, but all of our flights never lasted long and would result in a pile of match sticks in the end, this did discourage me more than my brother who has still been crashing for the last 30 years. Some may laugh at my next story but that is OK because we are having a blast.

On a lark I went to the Discovery store at the mall and was looking around, I saw a Cox/Estes ??/Ranger, I figured this would make a nice pile Styrofoam dust so I bought it.
I went to the local field did the 2 minute charge and discharge 3 times like they said then on the 4th charge tossed it and let it go, I got my typical 30 seconds of flying RUSH but with a very different outcome, it landed in one piece ( a first). I flew it multiple time that evening and the next one too and for the most part the same results ( I have broken 2 props ). Now here I’ve been tinkering in this sport for 30 years, spent thousands of dollars ( planes, remotes, motors, etc use to much more expensive 30 years ago ) to end up buying a plane for $39.99 that is a 1 ch pulsing remote, and log more flying time on this one little plane than I was able to log in the past 30 years.

Well let me tell you this has rewet my appetite for this sport, so I ended up in the internet veraciously searching/reading about the next RTF plan I want to try ( it took me 30 years to find out what my problem has been, I never allow the planes to come up to speed before trying to control them), while on the phone with my brother we were looking at some planes on the internet and we decided to get a pair of cheap Chinese planes from here http://www.raidentech.com/sp2setofrare.html , we figured $100 total we can relive the old days and crash and burn together. The following Saturday off we went to the park.

My brother went first ( he selected the green on with the smaller wing span), WOW was he over controlling, BUT it flew, he did crash it a few times and we had to go in the trees and retrieve once. But by the time his battery went dead he had now logged more flight time with this plane than he has in the last 30 years. I was up next, learning from my brothers mistakes, off it went and in 10 minutes of total flight time it only hit the ground 4 time and only broke 1 prop. We looked at each other and called it a VERY successful day, as we were both sporting a child like grin, we didn’t have quick chargers so we went home.

When I got home I realized I had a quick charger that plugs in to my car, so off I went back to the park ( my brother went to his house 17 miles away) to fly some more. And fly I did, with each charge I got better (or so I think Hee Hee Hee) on my last flight of the evening ( 7 charges) it was getting cool and NO wind at all, I took the plane up high ( I had a hard time knowing if it was coming or going), killed the engine and floated up there for 14 min, I had to bring it down because it seemed it wasn’t coming down on it’s own. In all that evening I logged 1.5 hours of flight time (in the last 4 flights it only touched the ground when I landed).

I am in a cloud because it has taken 30 years to realize the childhood fantasy of flying, so forgive me if I ramble, this may be one of the only places where I can recall this story and have people understand what I am feeling/talking about

Brent