RCU Forums - View Single Post - 2004 Alabama Big Bird Fly IN - RCRC - 9-10-July
Old 07-08-2004, 09:07 PM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2004 Alabama Big Bird Fly IN - RCRC - 9-10-July

We had a good practice day today with several arrivals. So far we have 31 pilots registered, which is 7 below are all time record for a Thursday. The field is in excellent condition for the big guys to land on the grass apron that runs parallel to the runway. The field and the facalities look as good as I have ever seen them. Our guest from Kentucky commented about how beautiful the view is as you look out from the field toward Huntsville with the hills in the back ground. It was a beautiful day. Chuck and Arc were on the TV promoting the event this afternoon. We all went into the club house to watch them make their TV debut. What a hoot! It was really just good to get into the AC and out of the heat, but they did a good job.

We had a good trial run today with good flying time. I had been having what I thought was a fuel problem that turned out to be an ignition problem. Here is my plug for Desert Aircraft. These guys in Arizona are terrific. I'm a nobody in the hobby. I'm just one of those little guys, a no name sort of guy that no one is going to go out of there way to watch fly, except the guys at DA. Heck, I don't even own a DA-100 or 150. I just have a little Ole DA-50, but to the guys at DA you would have thought I was really somebody.

Wednesday morning from 7:40 am until 3:00 pm I fought with this problem until my arm was once again worn out. I was hot and sweaty and in no mood to get the run around. I called DA and asked Scott to have an ignition module for a DA-50 sent overnight to my house, and I wanted it delivered by this morning, Thursday. It arrived at 11:00 am. I had the problem solved by noon and was able to fly the Pitts well ahead of the official event kick off, and the engine ran like I had never seen it run before. It was simply perfect.

Thanks Desert Aircraft! This is what customer service is all about. You guys get a 10+ in my book and I will brag about your service every chance I get.

Roger F. Woodward
Asst. CD
2004 Alabama Big Bird Fly In