RCU Forums - View Single Post - THE OMP KATANA ARF's HERE!!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2004, 07:58 PM
lxcoupe
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THE OMP KATANA ARF's HERE!!!!

I just got the arf last week and flew it for the first time tonight. Just to point out a few things. The arf is a 48!QUOT! wing span NOT 46!QUOT! like the web site says. It has 718 sq in of wing area and mine with a lot of heavy items came out to 4lbs 6oz rtf. Very light in my book. The down sides are the instructions, which if you've built a few arfs won't matter because this thing goes together very easy and fast. The balsa sheeting is very soft which i guess helps with the light weight, but i'd feel better with harder balsa. The covering is elcheepo, but again the arf is only $129. The hardware is typical with the worst part being the wheels they are literally the size of a quarter...lol. Now on to the flight performance. I have a ys63fz spinning a 13-4w prop. hitec 5475 digitals on the ailerons and elevator, 5945 on the rudder and a futaba 3003 on the throttle. all on a 4.8v 1650 nimh. No weight savings in any of that stuff huh..
The plane is a rocket ship with the ys 63 on it. It loves hovering and will do it at just over 1/4 throttle. Powering out is awesome like i said rocket like. It flys super light. The only gripe i have is the elevator is limited to 45 degrees of throw which hampers tight waterfalls and a few other high alpha maneuvers. It will be a quick fix with a dremel. The rudder is extremely powerful knife edge flight requires almost no top rudder and ke loops are tight, pin wheels are very easy as well. As i get used to it alittle more i believe this will be the best profile i've flown, I have 3 friends with the omp edge that i have flown quite a bit and to be honest with only 3 flights in the katana blows them away.
hope this helps
Al Renkel