RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dual-servo elevator linkage geometry
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2002, 06:00 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual-servo elevator linkage geometry

Andy, the difference in your diagram is due to the different servo locations, not the direction of throw on the control horn. If you superimpose the servos over one another, the difference will be very small. Smaller yet, if you simply make the pushrods a little longer (i.e. mount the servos farther away from the elevator).

Often times the problem occurs because the tail section of the fuselage is very narrow, which require the dual servos to be mounted one over another (similar to what you have draw, Andy). That offset is what creates the bulk of the linkage geometry difference, but folks often blame the different servo horn throw direction instead. Heck, I have a plane with dual elevator servos mounted under the wing with long pushrods, and people still insist that I should get a reverser.

I don't like exceedingly short pushrods, as they create more geometry problems than the little more rod stiffness is worth. I don't like eletronic reversers either. Even the best ones introduce some non-linearity that defeats the purpose of what they try to solve.

If you're still worried about the difference in servo throw direction, you can use a comparable servo from a different manufacturer which turns the opposite direction given the same input.