RCU Forums - View Single Post - FiberClassics P-51 now Comp-ARF P-51
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2004, 02:43 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FiberClassics P-51 now Comp-ARF P-51

It will take quite some time to complete one of these kits. It is alot of work setting things up, and the instructions are of little help. The big advantage is the molded in details and such, but that is the only time saver. The construction and set up takes just as long as standard kit. Also, you can't always trust what they say AND spars and internal structure may differ from wing panel to wing panel. The one that my dad had, had the spars in different locations. He worked pretty steady on it at night for about 9 months to get it done. The painting is certainly the quickest part due to little surface prep needed. But WHEW is everything else a nightmare. You would think that as big as it is, it would be easy to work on, but not so. He had to place things in difficult location due to balance concerns. But when it was all done, no lead was needed. His was just shy of 40 lbs RTF with SCALE billet aluminum exhaust, scale wheels, all doors, sliding canopy operable via transmitter, and had the heavy german retracts. Its a great looking plane when done, but i dont think it saves that much time in the end considering the re-engineering that has to be done.