RCU Forums - View Single Post - delta drag
Thread: delta drag
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2002, 03:44 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default delta drag

the second is DD, not Diamond Dust, but named after the initinals of the guy i built if for. his quest was same as yours.
i had a plan for a Eurofighter type thing, i nicked the wing sections and shape, and built the rest around it.
its a bit thick in the centre, but i built a fuz to hide the rest of the gear, a fuz cant be as much drag as a wing tapering to be thick enough at the centre for the gear ( a 4 part delta wing is the ideal, thin, last bit taper to thick for gear ) the wing had 3 degrees of washout to stop tip stalling, i made the LE real sharp till the last 3" then rounded it, that worked great.
the first fins where too small and it would have a bad stall on landing, the new fins lowered the stall speed to walking pace with the engine off. the pipe and engine where lowered so to be faired inot the wing ( not shown in pic )
the LE it tapered so the elevator is in the centre at the back, where is should be, and ailerons at the tips further forward, where they should be. i've seen Zagi types sip on full up, coz the elevator is at the tips so to speak, this plane had NO tip stall even on viloent turns and climbs.
this plane was 20-30mph quicker than anything else on same engine pipe combos

my conclusions are, lightweight, but work the wing loading out first, and go from there. flat bottom for lift at lowest possible AoA to reduce drag. fair everything, use THICK torque rods for elevons to a fuz to give a thinner wing section ( no servos in there ) lay everything as flat as you can. imagine rear inducton rear exhaust on a Outlaw..... you'd never see the pipe, it would be in rib bay 1.

MOST IMPORTANT!!!!!
make it look fast and fly it close, 6' away and your convinced its the fasted plane ever.

last off, forget the paper plane, it will torque roll into the ground on take off.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	22661_743.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	11633