RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cermark Mb 339 give me a brake
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2002, 07:59 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Retracts

Yes I was at Fresno on Saturday only and probably did talk to you. What you saw was:

15082/000 on the mains
15072/000 on the nose

http://www.eurokitplane.com/retractf...ize1.htm#15080

These were the smallest trailing arm units they had for the size tires I was using: 2.5" mains, 2.25 nose. All the axles are 5/32". Took about 4 weeks to get them, but they are holding up fine and the price is great.

I outlined a new retract cavity on the wing the other day and it looks like almost 1.5" longer with some other bumps as well. Would have to cut a rib but that's probably not a big deal. You might want to mold up new gear wells

Three suggestions: (1) Drill out the mains to take a 3/16" wire if you're using Spring Aire HD. I haven't bent mine hardly with 5/32" but I think it needs a bigger pin. (2) You might want to use the nose gear style (072) all the way around if you're willing to use smaller tires. I think they're strong enough, particularly with the lighter weight you'll have. They can be shortened about 3/8"-1/2", but you might not be able to drill out for 3/16". (3)The 082 mains could be shortened down 1/2" IF you have a retract unit which will take a 1/2" strut and IF that retract unit has a bottom which will provide an end cap for the strut spring.

The airplane isn't real fast. I went through the traps at Fresno at 140mph, gear down, not much dive and probably at full power but since I don't know which pass it was, I can't say for sure what the power setting was. I was running close to flat out all day since it seemed so slow compared to everbody else.

The mains are going to come off and go onto my Top Cat soon. I'll retofit a set of smaller units later. They've made all my landing probems go away.

Good luck, after Wed am, I'm gone for two weeks.