RCU Forums - View Single Post - Wheels lock up
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Wheels lock up

ORIGINAL: Darryl Usher

I find clean works fine, no lube. What brake controller do you use, If you use down elevator you can slide the tires as high speed. My brakes will start to slip at about 10 pounds thrust with a 30 pound aircraft and 3" wheels. I use a 100 pound air source.
Darryl Usher
I have found similar results with my Intairco brakes and I have never lubed them. I am using a smooth stop to actuate them.

I'm not sure if these are Buna-N O-rings. Anyone know?
Intairco brakes are not standard "O-ring" brakes like BVM's. They have two delrin or nylon pistons (each with it's own o-ring) that oppose each other, they push outward (radially) from the axle against a molded rubber brake band. The band is what makes contact with the inside of the wheel hub, and it also provides the force to push the pistons back into thier bores when no air pressure is applied. but it has no function in sealing the air system.
I would suggest cleaning the band and making sure the pistons are both free and have no trouble re-seating. Then if the brakes still lock up on you I would try just a hint of vaseline on the outside of the band (just enough to give the surface of the rubber a semi-gloss look).