RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hello I am WH
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2004, 06:28 PM
WH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello I am WH

Hello Air Beaters!

My name is Bill Seelinger, Known here as WH

I started flying Heli's in 1978 or so, with a Kalt Cobra. It never flew, the transmission blew out, and I am still looking for a replacement case. (if anyone has...) I learned to hover with a Graupner Bell 212 twin. It was a rather large machine, that hovered well, but due to its clockwise main blade rotation, did not make left hand turns...

Heliboy was king, and the GMP Cobra was out to take over the market. I then progressed to a Mini-boy and learned to fly forward. In 79 or so, maybe 80. I had just started a roaming hobby supply called Heli-Ohio LTD, affliated with John Rogers, Heli-Ohio. We sold parts and kits to Oh, WV and PA area. We taught many to fly in the area. I bet that I had atleast two hundred that I helped hover, and atleast 50 that I helped start forward flight in the late 70's to mid 80's. Anyone out there that remembers???

I went to the Superior and was looking for my first contest. It was in north western Pa, I forget the town or the sponcer, but he had a large Hobby shop somewhere up there. I went to the sign up table, and told the lady my name. She said "WHO?" I told her again and her answer was the same... I asked if she wanted my money, she said yes. I turned from the table, and saw the National Champ, at the time, Robert Gorhman, walking by, (anyone remember him flying the Cricket and tunning the needlevalve while it was hovering?) I looked to my right and there was Bob Bellomenni ( Sorry for the spelling Robert) talking with Cliff Hyatt. Out of the 14 Expert class pilots, 8 were of them were in the top ten. I had 14th place locked up! Over the next 4 years, I flew it twenty or more contests. Most of the same crew flew in each one. I learned more about Heli's' flying againts / with these Genteleman, than all the years that I have flown solo. A great group of men! I never won one, but did place a time or two...

The only contests that I ever won were a couple of "Old Timers" events. I had the most non flyable machine, that I could make a circuit with. Anyone Rember the Dubro Shark, with the Old O and R engine. A gas engine manafactured for a drilling rig, converted to glow for the Shark? I am looking at it now in the closet, new batteries and it would fly... well if you call it that!!! lol

This resume is my introduction.
I probally will not have a lot to add to any new airframe or radio inquireies, but I will be reading them all.

If there is anyone out there that remembers anything mentioned above, give me a yell!

I started back with fixed wing, just to shake the dust off, last week. ( have been away from flying for 9 yrs) Have my old Champ is setting here waiting for me to set up the engine...

Hello all, Realy glad to be back!

WH