RCU Forums - View Single Post - After Run Oil
Thread: After Run Oil
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2002, 12:48 PM
KLarsen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Run Oil

Originally posted by Sport_Pilot
Though most people blame the methanol for attracting moisture I suspect that condensation is the major reason for water in the crankcase. Reason is that I have removed the backplate from engines right after running, even when not run dry much of the fuel had evaporated prior to removing the backplate. Without the methanol even the oil in our fuel will not dissolve with water, the water sinks to the bottom of the crankcase, if the engine is pointed up the water will stay on the backplate without much corrosion, if the plane is pointed down the water will go toward the bearings causing them to rust.

Just an observation that many people who have problems with rust store there planes or engines with the front pointing down.
Perhaps this may answer the question I was just about posting: I have an OS 46FX-H heli engine wihich has not run for about 1½ years, and when I attempted to start it this year it couldn't be turned around. When I opened it there was rust on the rear ball bearing and on the piston ring and pin/clips. At first I thought it was the fuel - 20% moltsyne (sp?) synthetic oil and 12% nitro.

I did store the engine with the front pointing up (as it is mounted in the helicopter).

Is it possible to sand away the rust on the cylinder (there isn't THAT much) or do I have to buy a new engine?