RCU Forums - View Single Post - Proposals and Dis VP's
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Dave Mathewson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Proposals and Dis VP's

ORIGINAL: Robby

Dave, First off thank you for coming to US, the members via this forum..
I have two questions..
One is your stance on proposals of reducing the weight & size limitations from the
current specs.. There has been talk of reducing the weight from 55 to 35 pounds..
Another way of reducing plane size was instituting a max prop size..

Second is district VP's.. These people get reinbursed for attending various meetings,
club meetings, events, etc.. However it seems many do not visit much further than
their 'home area' unless it is figured into their own personal agenda..
My thought on this coincides similar to your proposal of instituting terms with the
addition of the dis VP required to visit various locations thru out their district and not
just a few selected favorite locations.. If a VP is unable to do this then perhaps they
are unable to be VP..

Thank you for taking the time to address both of these, as well as everything else
put out thru this forum..

Robby Newton ... # 42600
Hi Robby,
I’ve haven’t heard of any proposal to reduce size/weight limits. I’ll let you know what I think if you can give me a little more info. And, I sure don’t know that the size of a prop equates to some sort of limit on size and weight of an airframe. Can you tell us how the proposal is worded?

Just FYI, each VP has a budget to conduct district business. That includes things like phone, fax, website fees, postage, etc. The budget also covers travel expenses. Mine is unrealistically low (in case anybody from the budget committee is reading this). District budgets are based on a formula that includes the number of members and the area (size) of the district. The theory being that the largest expense is normally travel expenses, and VPs in the larger districts need more funds to do the same job as those in smaller districts.

I understand your concern but I’m not sure I have a solution. I can only speak for myself here but my district is relatively small compared to some others. I travel somewhere literally every weekend from Memorial Day to the end of the flying season. I accept invitations to wherever I’m invited (if the day is open) and fill in the rest as I go. I try to hit two events a weekend and sometimes three. Right now I’m scheduled to be somewhere every weekend through October 9&10. In the winter my wife and I usually attend a couple club functions a month. Even doing this I haven’t even come close to visiting all the clubs in my district. The guys in the larger districts are at even more of a disadvantage.

I have a top-notch group of AVP’s in my district that are a big help. Many of them also travel every weekend. The larger the district, the more AVP’s. Invite your local AVP to one of your events. Add him to your club’s newsletter list. But I also know every once in a while guys like to see their VP. I’d suggest sending a personal invitation, maybe even make a phone call, inviting yours to a function. I see you live in IL. Charlie Bauer is as dedicated as any of us. I know he’s out in his district regularly.

Let me know about the size/weight thing.
Dave