RCU Forums - View Single Post - Funtana 90 and 3D Airplanes
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2004, 04:37 PM
restlessrocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Funtana 90 and 3D Airplanes

Mike,
Welcome !!!! I was surprised to not read anyone asking about the tip stall problems apparently inherit to the funtana 40 wing design and if it is also a problem in the 90 size. plane. As a 3D warrior I was terribly dissapointed in the airplane (being it is just so darn good looking). It was impossible to do an elevator , a harrier or even get it into a hover or any other high alpha move requiring more than a few degrees of elevator travel. I tried all the suggestions involving the elevator joiner, the CG, Lateral balance etc. Mine finally bit the dust upon snapping out too close to the ground. Please elaborate to your hearts content on this subject as there are many other dual taper airfoil designs that share this dangerous problem. Just one more note ; I rigged mine with HS- 225 mini`s lighter landing gear and a 46FX would take it verticle at 3/4 throttle. I agree that over powering these airplanes does not substitute for piloting skills. I am now totally delighted with my new Hanger 9 Twist and have been having a total riot with it also rigged for HS 225`s, 1/8" axels, foam wheels and a 46FX mounted just enough forward to avoid adding weight to the nose. Note this airplane is dangerous if it balances further back than the recommmended 5" aft CG. I am looking forward to your comments on the funtana problem as I have been ready to buy a funtana 90 but cannot waste the money unless I am convinced this problem has been solved or a reasonable solution has been found Fly On Dude Restlessrocks