RCU Forums - View Single Post - BEWARE OF PHOENIX MODELS!
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2004, 07:01 AM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BEWARE OF PHOENIX MODELS!

I had the Phoenix Giles 202 and I agree the wood used in the plane was poorly chosen. My particular model was so tail heavy I had to mount the battery under the cowl to get it to balance out at the rear end of the recommended range. Just picking up the wing by itself felt heavy! I will say, though, that the craftsmanship of these planes for the price is very good. The covering was of good quality and well applied. The cowl, canopy and pilot bust all added to the quality look of the plane. The hardware was definitely an area where there could be some improvement. Most of it is usable but just not up to the quality standards of other ARF manufacturers out there.

I guess it comes down to you get what you pay for. For the price I consider the Giles a great flying sport plane. It isn't up to the standards of competing models mostly because of weight. The wing and fuse are fully sheeted on the Giles which add to its great finish. Many competitors don't sheet their planes in favor of keeping the weight down which as we all know - lighter flys better.

If you are interested in theses planes just don't expect to get a plane that is as agile as competitors planes that weigh a pound less. Also, if you are the least bit picky about your hardware, expect to go out and spend more on putting quality hardware into the plane to meet your standards. Unfortunately, replacing the hardware doesn't help much in the weight area.

In the end I can't say I will buy another one. The price is great and they are beautiful planes but the overall package just didn't make me fall in love with the plane. Personally, I'd prefer trying something else if I decide to replace it.