RCU Forums - View Single Post - TT Victoria
Thread: TT Victoria
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2002, 09:20 AM
RobStagis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vic modifications after 3 years or so

I like my boat - my buddy has been trying to make his Fairwind faster than the modified Vic. Here's what I've done:

Removed the scale detail-stuff - it was a major snag-zone for the running rigging.

Running rigging: replaced with Spyderwire. Split-ring on the servo arm to reduce friction.

Removed the suspended-ring setup for the mainsheet. Instead, I glued an 'eye' to the forward cockpit wall and put a servo grommet in there. The mainsheet runs through it and aft to the block I tied in the aft end of the cockpit.

I separated the main and jib sheets - they run through a double block tied to the aft end of the cockpit instead of the hole in the plastic that used to be there. I drilled another hole in the forward cockpit wall and installed a second cleat on the cockpit floor to tie off the jib sheet.

Metal jam cleats instead of the original plastic ones. Now all I have to do to adjust a sheet is slip it under the cleat, which is a lot easier on windy days with everything flapping.

Tied the mainsail to the mast, getting rid of the rust-prone clips.

Tied the sails to the booms, again eliminating the rusty clips.

New sails. I didn't spend a lot of money here - just used Mariner Sails' kit. It was easy to make and the boat looks and sails a lot faster.

Replaced the radio box with two crosswise thwarts made of hardwood I dug out of my scrap box. The original box rotted due to me not waterproofing according to the instructions. Actually, I consider this an improvement - there's more room to play with the components and the original box was a water-trap. Install two 1/4x1/4's or 5/16x5/16 from side to side, roughly 3/4" under the deck. You need room for the servo arms to swing. Ensure they're far enough apart (fore and aft) to install your servos. Make a little ply plate to hold your switch in the original kit position. I velcro'd the receiver to one of them, allowing easy access and eliminating the plastic bags previously used.

Drilled a hole allowing me to run a piece of music wire to the switch - now I don't have to pull the hatch to turn it on and off.

5-cell NiMH pack velcro'd to the hull way back under the cockpit - this helped the nosediving a little......