RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bates B-26 Marauder
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2004, 10:59 PM
kram51
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bates B-26 Marauder

Don't be ashamed to fly a smaller twin, if anyone looks down their nose at you just ask them where their twin is. And that leads me to say the Northeast Aerodynamics Twin-Air 45 is just about the best first twin available.
Not ashamed at all as I fly several right now. I'm looking for advice is all with the goal of flying bigger planes. I've read many good things about the TA-45. My question was really if the bigger guys are the goal what's the best way to get there.

In the case of a twin trainer smaller is better, it will not only react to a failure faster than a larger plane, it will respond more quickly to your corrective inputs as well. With the lighter wing loading, lower altitude and speed if it does get away from you there is less probability of total destruction. There's that cost factor rearing its head again.
Really? I was thinking wing loading would be higher on a smaller twin, all things being equal, as compared to a similar larger plane. My weakness is for scale planes, even civilian. After my first couple trainers I've always stuck with something that looks like a "real" airplane. Maybe I'll have to bash it into something more scale. I'm not as nuts as some over what is "scale" but I do like for my planes to at least resemble a real one.

I've always loved the Marauder and I know the history it has. I've wondered how the model would fly given that it's not carrying 7 guys, machine guns out the wazoo, and 2,000-4,000 pounds of bombs. Not to mention several thousand pounds of fuel!

The Marauder is the goal anyway and since I'll be cutting this kit myself my time estimate is probably generous at best!

Thanks for the advice Bill, it's what I was looking for. . . would love to hear from any who have the Marauder still. Fascinating airplane!

Mark