RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bates B-26 Marauder
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2004, 10:40 AM
Warbirdz01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bates B-26 Marauder

Mark....Do you have the plans already?......One thing to ck is what kind of wing is it using ?...Is it the "scale" wing or is it something thats more accomodating for the higher wing loads of a scaled down plane........I have the plans for the Don Smith A-26 and its a thin wing for sure....more closer to scale......I have seen only one fly and it appeared to be a handful........@ Deland several years ago a gentlemen had a scratch built B-26 roughly the same size as what you want to build....it had some kind of "custom" made props which most of us were quite concerned about ....but none the less.....off to the flight line it went........During T/O just after gear retraction the rt. engine shed the prop...followed by #2 engine departing the firewall.....probably one of the more spectacular crashes I've ever witnessed........One of the guys in our warbird group had it on video and we watched it later that night and sequenced it frame-by-frame and you could see the #2 prop literally explode...then #2 engine depart......followed by a spectacular spin into the trees.........Take it slow.....learn to be proficient with smaller twins first........most important....can't say it enough.....make sure that the powerplants are reliable........engine failure kills more twins than anything else........but...just because an engine failure occurs....doesn't always mean ballgame over.......if your prepared, patient and proficient.....you have a good chance of getting your plane back safely.....Bill......