RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bates B-26 Marauder
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2004, 06:02 PM
kram51
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bates B-26 Marauder

Here are some of what Jim Marshall had to say about the Marauder in response to my email.

Like you, Ramos and I heard or read all of the horror stories and hangar tales concerning the 26. I was a bit more lucky than Ramos as my father in law was a pilot with the 319th BG in the MTO and logged 67 missions flying the beast and had nothing but praise for the old girl. I also talked to several other Marauder Men and they all sang the same song. Ramos and I came to the conclusion that the Marauder was a reliable and faithful mount as long as you watched your airspeed, so...make a big poster and attach it above the door.... "Don't Go Slow..Don't Go Slow..Dammit..Don't Go Slow !!!" ...except over the numbers in the landing configuration...we fly our 26's strictly by the book and haven't suffered any problems.
I was hoping this is what Jim would have to say! Also . . .

Ramos and I both used Zenoah G 38 engines after talking to several other Marauder builders who used otherwise and we thank our lucky stars for using those engines. The Zenoahs are so reliable and have excellent power to fly the Bates Marauder, you may want to consider them also. We used Glenniss Wheels and brakes...those brakes come in real handy, just like on the real Marauder...better plan on getting them also.
lastly, with Jim's permission, I will add the email addresses of some guys that have "been there, done that"

About those email addresses I shot ya...We are the fellas that have become the source for info on building the Bates 26 along with Jerry Bates himself...We will be more than glad to help anyone that is interested in building the plane...

Regards........

Jim Marshall
So, here they are . . .

Ramos makes fiberglass gear doors for the Bates Marauder

Ruben Ramos - [email protected] makes glass B 26 gear doors

Jim Marshall - [email protected]

Robart rep....a great mechanical "imagineer" and nose gear guru

Gary Dye - [email protected] phone: (956) 581-4340
Other E-Mail: [email protected] same phone number

Mark, the Bates B 26 is a great flying machine...just ignore all the hangar tales and other trash talk about the plane....All ya need to know is..."Don't Go Slow" and you will survive....
Finally, Jim's advice on flying the Bates Marauder . . .

Get hold of some Marauder videos and watch the landing approaches and take offs...we fly ours exactly the same..."Get the gear up, quick...drop flap on landings...keep a bit of throttle on til near point of touch down and you will be safe... If you fly from a short strip...800 feet or less...those brakes are going to be very useful...We fly from a 3,200 foot ex military aux strip..but we still use the brakes as the Glenniss wheels just keep rolling, and rolling and rolling......Plus...those G 38's act like fire breathing R-2800 Pratts ....and the brakes help keep taxi speeds under control.

Good Luck....

Jim Marshall
What an incredibly generous guy! I feel as if I have three people helping me with this thing now.

I hope this can be of help to some of you also.

Mark