RCU Forums - View Single Post - Converted Y/A F-16A to from DF to pusher
Old 08-25-2004, 05:04 AM
drossier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Converted Y/A F-16A to from DF to pusher

Hello from Swizerland,

I built and fly a small F-16 from a german kit. Lenght is 1m10, , but there are a lot of similar problematics you will encounter too if you try a conversion on a Y/A airframe.

1. It is almost impossible to have an undercarriage on a pusher F-16, as you have to get it very nose high for take-off and landing. Mine is without any kind of wheels, lands well but have to get the right man to start. Dolly may also be possible on concrete runway if you got any.

2. Each gramm/ounce in the motor needs about 1.3 in the nose to balance. Total weight with a 600g motor is almost 1.5 kg! I got an OS32SX, mounted as lightweight as possible by screwing its backplatte on PCB board, then on bulkhead with 3 M4 plastic screews.

3. The propellers are only available for pusher in limited variations... I fly with a 9X6, Ducted Fan fuel giving about 22000 rpms, which means top horizontal speeds at about 100mph, and max measured at 247kmh.

4. Every variation in the engine rpms gives a big roll effect, so it is nearly impossible to trim the thing in flight. A real D/F (i got a mirage 2000 with ramtec) flies just straight until you ask something else!

I will never again make a pusher for all the above reason, and I think my necessary choices can't apply to a bigger plane as yours, and i recommend you to build a Ramtec with OS91 and JMP system 2 pipe in it, it will be a thousand times less complicated, and will perform identically. Another way now is the EDF, some bucks ok, but performance, reliability and ease of installation beats everything

Nice flight your side of the pond

Daniel Rossier, Switzerland
[email protected]