RCU Forums - View Single Post - Vacuum form a clear canopy!
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2004, 07:01 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Vacuum form a clear canopy!

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

I don't know if it still is the norm but, at one point in time, many manufacturers were making their canopy plugs from Bondo. You might be able to pull a mold with thick styrene or ABS and fill it with Bondo. I'm just not sure if the plastic will take the heat generated during the curing process. If it worked you would then have a solid (or hollow, if you desire) Bondo plug which could be sanded to a near perfect finish. I suppose you could pour it into a plaster mold also, if the plastic doesn't work. I've seen several very nice (and very large) canopy plugs made this way and the quality of the parts pulled over them was outstanding. The one that comes first to mind is the Rick Lewis designed Skyraider with which several well known modelers competed some years back.

PS- Bondo is a polyester product and can be thinned down with polyester resin for pouring purposes.
Hi Chad, thanks for that info on the Bondo, I just went out a bought a huge tub of it! I will try to thin it, that was one of the things I was concerned about, having lots of bubbles. I'm sure it will work great, pouring it in a formed styrene mold might be a problem, but thats the first thing I'm going to try. It might have it's shape before it gets to hot, then it won't matter if the mold warps, we'll see.

I'll post here soon with my new bondo plugs and canopies!

I know you're not working on anything now Chad, but what is the wingspan of that Corsair project you have? You told me once I just can't remember.

Thanks again!

Dion