RCU Forums - View Single Post - Should wide,flat trailing edge be included in Chord?
Old 08-29-2004, 02:00 AM
DipStick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should wide,flat trailing edge be included in Chord?

mattbeme,

I think you might get in to real problems with the dropping rons...once the plane has any speed up they tend to dart and tuck wildly (that's been my experince anyway....I don't have a real good handle on dynamic stability but I do know that I've had some real control issue with very cambered foils).....If you fly very slow then it might work....or like BMatthew said increase the tail size...or if you limit it to a small section inboard on the wing(inboard flaps). I think a slightly undercamber foil with reflexed rons is going to give you the slowest flying plane and the best all round proformance for a trainer. I don't remember the article but I have seen some data that suggest that slightly undercambered reflex foils generate more lift and less drag than the same foil not reflexed....I have build a few spad undercambered wings that actually flew slower with reflexed rons. I think the thickest point on the wing was at about 20 percent rather than 25 percent. But all that being said, the Nice thing about SPAD is you can try it out pretty easy and cheaply and see if it works.

Some other things you might look at to reduce speed are, reducing wingloading, or increasing span but each change may create other problems.

Happy Flying!!!!
Steve