RCU Forums - View Single Post - How does a brushless motor work?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2004, 10:36 PM
ND_newbie
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How does a brushless motor work?

All,
I'm absolutely new to all this, as not much of it was covered in my Intro to Electronics course, years and years ago. Much of the information in this thread has been extremely educational, and I thank everyone for their posts. Now I have a couple of questions to add.

Question #1: How does the number of poles affect the performance of a given motor. If, for example I have two similarly-sized motors, and one has n poles (where n is the minimum number required (3?)), and the second has 12 poles. According to Adam_One's post, the number of poles dictates the maximum rpm, but are there other factors that depend on the number of poles?

Question #2: I was told that for a given airplane model, I should buy a four-turn or five-turn motor. Can someone discuss the difference between with different "turn numbers", and explain the benefits and/or disadvantages of the different number of turns a motor has? If I'm buying a motor, is there a general level of specifications that I should look for, as a minimum, or does it completely vary by airplane type?

Thanks in advance for your answers. I look forward to continuing my education.

Mitchell Schaff
Williston, ND