RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hangar 9 F4U Corsair
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2004, 08:56 PM
bird-shots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P-51 stuff

Nice video. I have that plane in the box still...its one of my winter projects. I bought it and a World Models P-51. I decided to build the WM P-51 because it didn't look as good and I wouldn't mind breaking it as much. In other words, I'm using the WM as a trainer and will go whole hog with the H9: flaps, CJ pneumatic retracts etc. Of the two, I think the H9 looks a little more scale than the WM...except for the tail group. Actually, I bought the retracts for the WM, but they fit the H9 much better. The H9 will be about a pound lighter, so I'll be going with the AXI 4120-18, HM 77, 5S4P and 14x10 APC TE...or something close.

On the WM, I'm using an AXI 4120-18, HM 77, 6S4P and a 14x8.5 APC TE. Unfortuneatly, a friend smoked the motor on the maiden flite and it nosed in...nothing serious though. He held WOT for about 5 minutes with a fresh 6S4P 7800. It flew great for a while, too bad we didn't get to see it land properly. The batteries and ESC were less than 110 degrees when I retrieved it. I didn't have a spinner on it so that didn't contribute to the problem. I wanted to check the heat after a couple of minutes...oh well. One thing that I'm concerned about with both P-51s is the huge spinner not allowing the motor armature to get sufficient cooling. Any suggestions? Randy, our guardian angel at Hobby Lobby, replaced it free of charge...it came in today.

Heck I wouldn't know how to fly off a hard top, I've been flying of grass so long. As for formation flying, when I get in the air everyone lands...wonder why?

I saw your post about the retract servo locking up...too bad you lost Marie. Did you try to repair it? Didn't look that bad to me. All it needed was a new forward fuselage. I'd love to give that one a shot...hope you didn't trash it. I would have been finished with John's Corsair, but I couldn't always use CA and UF and Epoxy takes time. It'll be flying soon though. Looks like it will be on of those 10' models. (Looks good at 10')

geach