RCU Forums - View Single Post - GP 1/3 Pitts arf
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2004, 11:05 AM
bigbird3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP 1/3 Pitts arf

Hey Red, thanx for the reply. To answer your question about the strength of the cabane struts, I haven't flown my Pitts yet so I don't know about any problems with the structure other than what I have read in this thread. I will tell you though, I think that the struts are strong enough but the real strength comes from the flying wires. The way they are anchored and what strength the wire is, is very important. They will hold the wing on if something else fail. Within reason of course.
The struts seem to be made of a pretty strong aluminum but if you have any doubts, go to your local airport and buy some aircraft aluminum from the A&E shop and band saw out a new set. Be sure and taper the holes on both sides after you drill them this might relieve the stress cracks from developing. In fact, it probably wouldn't hurt to taper the new ones in the kit. If you do buy some new stuff, get it thicker by about 1/16".
Something I just thought of, if the screws are not completely tight at the wing end of the struts, this might offer any vibration a place to work on stress cracks not to mention the bolts themselves. It is a good idea to do a complete 'walk around' as in any full size aircraft. I know it is difficult to break down these big birds after every flying session but it must be done every few just to make sure that the radio components are still in place and that none of the structure is disintigrating. This way you will be familiar with any cracks or elongated holes that are starting to appear. I use 4-40 bolts and fiber lock nuts on my struts, inner and outer. It is a good idea to replace these fiber lock nuts perhaps every other time you break the plane down as they wear out and will loosen up just enough to let the parts move and chafe each other. As I said, this is very much like full size. The bigger the bird the more stress and scale like the material and weight. The fiber lock nuts are like the rubber bands holding on the wing of a trainer. You cut the bands off after each flying session! Never use them twice! It is cheap insurance for a long lived airplane. If you can't afford to buy a new box of bands (fiber lock nuts) that often, then you surely can't afford the plane or even to fly it. My point? What's cheaper to replace, nuts or plane? I have about 2100.00 in this one! The engine alone cost 1300.00, 400. for the plane and 425. for the radio. That doesn't even get close when you add the detail I have put into it.
Red, I hope I have put some light on your question and helped in some way.
I will try the gallery for posting my Pitts. Later, bird