RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electron 6 strange quirk
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2004, 06:18 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electron 6 strange quirk

The new HiTec Electron 6 I have in the BareCat has been doing strange things since day one and I finally figured it out recently. It's been intermittently going completely nuts with all servos quivering and little response to control inputs. Fortunately, it has never failed in the air (knock on wood!)

Initially I thought it was the 6AS transmitter which has had a crystal change but I finally proved it was OK using it on another airplane. The fault turned out to manifest itself only after the plane sits out in the bright sun for 10 or 15 minutes. I was testing this the other day at home and ironed a patch of chrome MonoKote over the receiver area. Since it's a profile plane covered with transparent blue SoLite, much of the receiver's transparent blue case is exposed to the sun. The chrome patch reflected the sunlight and normal control remained for 20 - 25 minutes so I assume it's the heat buildup and not just the UV rays that causes the problem.

Last weekend at the field I just laid a towel across the wing to protect it and everything was fine all day! I would take the rcvr. out and send it back but it's built into the structure and would require a lot of work to get it out.[] Apparently the cooling effect of the airstream and the constant changes in attitude while flying keeps the heat build-up down and normal control remains.

Anybody else had that problem? It's probably just my bad luck and I got one with a heat sensitive part. I have another one in the Gyrator (also covered in transparent blue) but the rcvr.'s encased in foam. It's always been solid as a rock.