RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great Planes Fokker DR1 Set up
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2004, 05:50 AM
deljon
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Fokker DR1 Set up

I used GP's pushrod setup for the elevator, but soldered the collar for extra insurance. Went with the OS 70 with an 14-7 prop. Seemed to be a good combination.
I added onboard glow, so moved both battery packs as far forward as possable, it only took a few ounces of weight epoxied inside the front of the cowl to balance it out. Didn't think about putting a battery box on the front of the firewall till I had it finished, so didn't change it.
A friend of mine that was about a week ahead of me putting his together discovered that you do not want it to be the least bit tail heavy. A tad of nose down worked fine. So with the knowledge I gained from him, my first flight went perfect.
As light as it is and with all those wings, it don't like crosswinds even a little bit, but with some practice you can manage it.
The lower wing is very fragile, seems as though they designed it to fail. (They get 50 bucks for a new one). They break right at the fuse. and it doesn't take much to do it. After repairing it twice, bought a new one and stripped the covering and reinforced both spars, know more trouble.
Really a fun plane, flew mine for two years.
Have fun, let us know how yours does.

Del Johnson
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27271.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	176673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56467.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	176674