RCU Forums - View Single Post - Super Scale 1/6 Corsair Cockpit Project
Old 10-01-2004, 04:35 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Super Scale 1/6 Corsair Cockpit Project

Finally back from the storm, hurricane Jeanne! Only some wind and water damage, nothing I can’t fix!

I am going to design and build a 1/6 scale Corsair cockpit. This project is mainly for my own blown up 1/8 Royal Corsair that I am going to build, but with the much appreciated help of rcamp for sending me formers and plans for the Giant Top Flite Corsair, I will make sure that it fits this kit as well. I have no worries about it fitting in the Byron, that one has a fiberglass fuselage, so you can put the cockpit floor wherever you want!

First I wanted to make sure my pilot is as he will be, ready for flight! That included putting him on a good diet! I hate spending $35 on a pilot and then cutting him up, so I wanted to keep him as original as possible. I ordered 2 of the Blue Box Toys WWII Pearl Harbor Lt. “Doc” Miller pilots. Very realistic but the face looks like a Spitfire pilot, so I’m not going to use the head, I will attempt to sculpt my own in the likeness of Pappy Boyington! (More on that later) The figure is very easy to pose and very lifelike, I wanted to preserve this but the plastic is too heavy.

Here he is all taken apart, I just sliced into the seems with an exacto knife and popped them apart.

I don’t have a scale at the moment but by vacuum forming the main parts in .020 styrene he is much lighter. I just stuck the parts on the vacuum former and pulled the plastic over them.

Notice how it formed on the internal parts! This was a good thing; I used those areas to tell me where to put the internal 1/16” ply.

You can see the 1/16” ply in the lower neck area, notice how the part formed with the internal structure!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98195.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	178574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68860.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	178575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55424.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	54.7 KB