RCU Forums - View Single Post - GP 1/3 Pitts arf
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Dave G
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP 1/3 Pitts arf

Dennis (drdoom), Fuji 50 with an onboard starter?! That sure sounds like a nice set up but be prepaired to mount a block of lead in the spare rudder servo cutout in the aft fuselage. I ended up only having to relocate my Rx batteries (twin 6 volt, 1200 mAh) to the bottom of the cockpit floor for the correct balance. I have seen 2 of these Pitts that were well over 20 pounds. While they do "fly" well, they land like a brick being thrown down a well! Mine, at 17 pounds, is much more forgiving at slower speeds. It doesn't float on landing, but is a dream compared to 20+ pounders. The plastic lacing for the flying wires is "Rexlace" from [link=http://www.pepperell.com/]Pepperell[/link]. I got a 100 yard roll before I realized it came in a 10 yard roll too. I'll sell enough for the whole plane that'll include plenty of extra (while supplies last) for $3.00, shipped. Just send me a PM. You supply the clevis's.

Listed,THE FLYING WIRES ARE NOT NECESSARY ON THIS MODEL. If built within the guidelines of GP, there's practically no chance of structural failure. I made my tail wires "structural" because I flipped the planes on it's back once and cracked the fin. If these had been in place I'm sure it would not have gotten damaged. If you're bulding this model to the point where the flying wires are needed, the interplane struts are the weak link then. Anyone who says this model needs functional flying wires are the ones overpowering them and pulling the wings off. Redrata has taken the "beefing up" to about the ultimate limit for a very reliable flyer. I'm not trying to flame 'ya, but it's like no matter how many times you tell a kid to quit putting a paperclip into the wall outlet, he doesn't realize getting shocked is a bad thing.

I like the new flying wires just for the "look". The wire ones that come with the Pitts look like junk.

Man, my palms are sweating!

Here's a couple shots of the tail wires. 2-56 music wire, soldered on both ends. They're silver soldered. With a torch and high temperature solder. Regular soldering probably would have been okay, but since I went to all this trouble...

Build light. Well, as light as practical!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15530.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	179803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62420.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	179804