RCU Forums - View Single Post - GP 1/3 Pitts arf
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2004, 10:41 PM
bigbird3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP 1/3 Pitts arf

Navy, sorry for getting my hackles up. I guess the FW issue is a dead horse and has been beaten enough. I have a feeling that there are rights and wrongs on both sides of the issue.
I really enjoy discussing the pitts and have gotten quite a few good hints and heads ups from it. The fire wall problems you mentioned are worth keeping an eye on indeed. One of the things I have found works quite well even though I didn't do it on my Pitts is to drill the appropriate size hole for the model along the edge of the fire wall so that it touches the side sheeting and then drill it back one or two bulkheads. Lay in a dowel and glue it in. I use to repair E-Z ARF's with bamboo squires then I would epoxy them to the skin that was seperating from the bulkheads. It sure makes a ridgid area. Keeps the firewall connected too.
Well, anyway, I made flight # 12 today and sustained my first fatality. It was quite windy, in fact, the wind was circulating and it was kicking the Pitts around. I came in for a landing and was too low and it was all over the place. I clipped the edge row of grass at the edge of the field and cought the wheel pants and clipped about 1 1/2 inches off of my 24 inch prop! That is all of the damage I had. It sure scared me. Only problem is that I don't have a back up prop. I think I will get a 22X6-10 and see if it turns up any.
Navy, have a great day. I will keep it friendly from now on. Thanx. bird.