RCU Forums - View Single Post - BTE Venture 60 build has Commenced!
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2004, 10:56 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: BTE Venture 60 build has Commenced!

Swager, I'll say you must be bitten by the r/c bug real hard. Your V60 is looking good. Here's a note I received from Bruce a while ago which might be of interest :

"A little Four-Star history is in order here. I'm the designer of the original Four-Star, the Four-Star 40. While at Sig, I also designed the 120-sized version. After leaving Sig, the first design I worked on was my "improved" version of the Four-Star, and I chose to make it a .60-size model (Venture 60) so as not to compete with the existing kits. A year or so later, Sig introduced the FS60. From what I can tell, the wing of the FS60 has a substantial increase in the weight of the structure due to the inclusion of a couple lite-ply shear web/spars and some extra diagonals. For the record, I don't think all that stuff is necessary and it's been proven with the V60 wing. One other difference is that the V60 is designed to use a single aileron servo to save a bit more weight; however, a lot of builders go ahead ane put dual servos in the V60. Either way works fine. V60s, almost without exception, tend to weigh right about 7 pounds. FS60s tend closer to 8 pounds. I think my wood selection makes a difference too...

My official recommended range for 4-stroke engines is .65-.80. Now I'll be up front and tell you that I'm employing
something of a psychological "trick" that I've learned from past experience is necessary. The range does not include the .91 because a lot of modelers will see that and instantly start thinking "1.20" (yikes!). By ending the range at .80, modelers make the mental jump
to .91 and I can live with that.

Bruce"