RCU Forums - View Single Post - Westbury Hunter Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2004, 10:02 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: Westbury Hunter Build Thread

Have been working some scale details. I have added the distinctive gun fairing cut-outs in the lower fuselage. I made my own fiberglass tubes of the correct diameter, molded around some brass tubes. After cutting them to approximate shape and closing off the back end with a piece of polyply, I cut the openings in the fuselage and glassed them in. Once dry, attacked them with Permagrit and fairly easily ended up with a very neat set of gun barrel openings. I also added the gun camera opening on top of the fuselage using the same method.

I then turned to the cockpit tub. After deciding to go with a partial depth tub, I scratched my head and sketched out a few ideas. Mostly made from 1/16th ply and 1½” deep I should be able to dress this up reasonably well. The width is 3” and I was hoping to use one of the Blue-box pilot figures. Does anyone have an ‘across the shoulders’ measurement for one of the figures. I know they are 1/6th scale and the Hunter is 1/7th, but I don’t know how much I’d have to modify one to fit.

I’ve carved out a plug for one of the fuel tanks. This will sit in the lower fuselage and could hold up to about 95oz of fuel. I plan to wrap in parcel tape and mold a Kevlar tank from it. There is room to fit two of these tanks plus a cylindrical tank for a total of about 140oz maximum. I’ve yet to work out the c.g. impacts of this much fuel so that may limit the total capacity.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76416.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	183565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85172.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	183566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83116.jpg
Views:	28