RCU Forums - View Single Post - V7 - It Works (worked!)
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2004, 10:17 AM
T.W.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V7 - It Works (worked!)

After a long lay-off, brought-about by total frustration with the new V-7 I'd bought, I decided to have another go with my newly re-built LMH. It has the V-7 fitted, a larger tank than original, and a home-made boom - and I had removed all the free-play in the controls, caused by wear and tear, since I last flew it

The engine started ok for once and I only had to adjust the needle a couple of times to get it just right. The heli was way out of trim (of course). So the first flight consisted of hop, adjust trim, hop, re-adjust trim, etc. During flight two I realised I couldn't get all the trim I needed on the rudder - and the gyro wasn't effective enough either. So I landed, removed the body, and made the adjustments, replacing the body afterwards

During flight three the trim was much better, but I decided the heli was way too reactive, so I landed and adjusted the Tx rates. Finally, flight four:

Seemed good! The V-7 was running really well (for the first time ever) so I did some cautious hovering. Then I flew a few small circuits and some 8's. I even did a little nose-in too, this was finally looking good. All of the flying had been done at around 4 to 8ft height, so's not to worry the neighbours, and I was starting to enjoy myself and regain some confidence in the little heli . . . . and then it happened

The engine and rotor stopped (almost) dead. Just as it stopped there was a screech (main gear teeth gone - maybe), and of course the heli sank to the ground (but quick). No damage was done to the heli when it "landed," as it was in a low hover when things went wrong

This is so typical of my experience and my frustration with the LMH. It always seems as though I have to work really hard to get this thing flying, and then it always comes to a sudden stop (apart from a brief period when it flew surprisingly well a couple of years ago)

Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to what's "let-go" this time - before I start taking the thing to pieces to find out?